Sunday, February 17, 2008

A German Adventure - Part II

(continued from last time)

We were all happy to be let out of Frankfurt Flughafen. I was heartily sick of reading the Fraport signs all over the airport. I had stopped listening to my iPod because who knew how long we'd be stuck in Frankfurt? And I didn't want the battery to get exhausted -- Apple claims that the battery of an iPod nano lasts for 24 hours, but I didn't want to test that out. 8 hours of those 24 hours had already been exhausted, and I could see the faintest sliver of gray next to the green in the battery icon. I was reading my book at snail's pace, because I didn't want to finish the book -- what would I do once I'd finished it? I would only have the mangas to read after that, and it really doesn't take long to finish a manga. The longest I've taken is two hours, and that's only because I stopped for an hour in between to do something. So there I was, tired, exhausted, sleep-deprived, tetchy, irritated, and wanting, more than anything, to go back home.
And then one of the passengers from Air India called out to tell us that the German government was granting us temporary visas!
The line to the visa post formed faster than guests lining up for food at a wedding. One minute the hallway was deserted, the next, full. And, what annoyed me to no end, people kept cutting into the line. I forced myself to relax and not snap at people. My favorite couple, the old ones from Hyderabad cut into the line someplace ahead of me, and were looking around. Thankfully, they didn't spot me, though my hiding behind the fat gentleman in front may have had something to do with the fact.
We inched forward. We had to go through security check, where my bottle of orange juice got thrown away. I forgot to remove my iPod from my pocket the first time I went through, and set off the alarms, and trudged back wearily to the line to put it into the crate. When we were finally cleared, we formed a massive group at a window that said Bundespolizei, with Federal Police written underneath it. Some of the Bundespolizei came forward to shepherd us into a line, strong blond men in blue uniforms. It seemed to me everybody in Germany was blond!
We stood while our names were called. Finally, mine was, and I glowered at the camera. The German official photographing me gave me an encouraging smile -- I wondered whether I looked like I was about to burst into tears? Finally, the formalities out of the way, there was nothing to do but wait. And wait we did. I reunited with the two Shrutis and Anita, and we laughed together a bit. Actually, that was where I found out that one of the Shrutis had been a classmate of a friend of mine at UT. We waited for the better part of an hour, swapping stories about our lives back in the US. Anita worked at a firm in San Jose, she had just moved there from Delloitte Consulting. One of the Shrutis had just graduated with a Masters in Biotechnology from someplace in Boston, I think, while the other one was at USC, studying Computer Science, like me. A fellow computer scientist! I was briefly interested, but was too exhausted to discuss courses, which is the normal thing you discuss with a fellow CS student. Of course, when you're a full-fledged computer scientist, I guess you discuss deeper matters, like the efficiency of randomized algorithms over regular ones. I wasn't in the mood to discuss either. I slumped against a wall, listening to the other older girls chat amongst themselves -- I was the youngest in the group.
Finally, we were announced free to go. I got back my passport, adorned with a blue stamp declaring me as a transit passenger allowed into Germany for two days. I sighed, collected my passport from the (blond) policeman, and stood again in line to file out of the airport. Lines! I was starting to hate lines. We stood out for a while till the bus arrived to take us to the airport. It was -5 degrees Celsius, and all I had on was a black hoodie with Texas written across the front in the signature burnt orange. And regular clothes, of course! I didn't have any other warm clothing with me, all of that being relegated to my check-in baggage in Austin. I shivered, but told myself that I'd endured colder days in Austin, I could stand it! The freezing wind crept into the neck of my sweatshirt and into my T-shirt, chilling me to the bone. Finally the bus arrived! I sat in it, and waited while the other passengers made their way to their seats, little arguments erupting even on the bus as to who would sit where. For God's sake, I thought wearily, are they adults or aren't they? I thought briefly of my apartment in Austin, which was probably sitting alone and forlorn right now. I thought of my parents waiting for me in Bombay, and felt another wave of weariness roll through me. I just wanted to go home! Frankfurt was nice, but it wasn't home!
After the arguments between the passengers threatened to erupt into a full-blown knock-down-drag-out fight, the bus driver hurriedly declared the bus full and rolled away from the airport. The bus glided out of the airport, and onto the streets of Frankfurt. And while the roads outside the airport were broad and large, the ones inside the city were what European streets are rumored to be -- narrow, and surrounded by buildings. It was beautiful, though -- very beautiful indeed. The streets were dark at this time of night, with street lamps providing golden illumination and making the streets glow. There were too many Deutsche Bank boards on the way to count, and lots of things written in German which I didn't comprehend. Finally we pulled up at a sort of city square, and were told to go to the Marriott across the street. Hamburger Allee, we later learnt, was the name of the street. On the square was a large board advertising various events happening in Frankfurt over the winter, and the first one made my eyes go huge -- a Linkin Park concert! I looked at the date, and my eyes popped even more -- 20th! It was the 20th there, albeit almost over. Then I looked at the month -- and sighed. 20/1/08 was the date. A month from then. Just my luck! I'd been pondering if I could go to the concert and put it on the Air India tab (I felt vicious enough to do just that), but it obviously wasn't possible now.
We crossed the street, and finally entered the lobby of the Marriott. It was tastefully decorated, as all Marriotts are, and a cheerful man named....hmm, I've forgotten, something like Heinrich or something, greeted us at the counter.
Our registrations were processed quickly, thank goodness. I was starting to feel like I couldn't stand on my feet much longer. I grabbed the room key from Heinrich -- I was assigned room 3807 -- and waited for Anita and the Shrutis to get done, so we could all go up together. Anita and I were assigned rooms across the hallway, so we told each other to let the other one know if something came up. And I retired to my room.
It was a pleasant one, with, what pleased me, a 110V electric socket, so I could use my laptop! Unfortunately, it had a European 3-pin socket, and I definitely couldn't fit the plug of my charger into that. So I let it go, and let my backpack slide off my shoulders, and fell into the bed. It was thick and springy, and I could feel the tiredness creep out of my bones. After sometime of lying there like a corpse, I finally mustered enough courage to explore around the room. I freshened up in the bathroom, and went and peeped outside the window for a view of the outside world. It was dark outside, but the lights on the streets were visible as a bright golden snake far, far below. I turned away, and went out and knocked on Anita's door.
"Heard anything?" I asked.
"Not about the flight," she said, "But there's a dinner for us."
I went down with her, pleased. I've always wanted to try German cuisine. I went to the restaurant indicated, looked at the menu, and felt my jaw drop. It was American! Burgers and fries and Caesar salads and chicken tenders, all out of an American bar. I half expected to see chicken enchiladas on the menu. Stunned, I closed the menu card to look at the name of the restaurant. Champions' Bar, it said, adorned with the picture of a baseball player. I closed my eyes.
"What are the odds," I said, turning to Anita, "That we would get stuck in Germany, and then walk into a restaurant, and find the same dinner we eat every night?"
She laughed. "Low, indeed," she said.
Another man sitting with us informed us that this was the largest Champions' Bar in Europe. I looked around. It didn't look all that massive to me, but then, maybe things are smaller in Europe. The waiter came up to us, and asked us if we wanted any drinks. Everyone ordered their stuff. I had a hard time explaining mine.
"A Bailey's Irish Cream," I told him.
He was confused. "Bailey's?" he said.
"Irish Cream?"
"Bailey's Irish Cream?"
"Yeah, that's right!" I beamed.
"Do you mean Bailey's Irish coffee?"
I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, thinking if that's what I wanted, why would I ask for an Irish Cream, moron?
"Irish Cream," I emphasized the latter part.
"We don't have that," he said, still confused. He called out to his friend behind the bar. "Hey, Michael, do we have Bailey's Irish Cream?"
"I don't think so," his pal replied. "Do you mean Irish coffee?"
"No!" I called back. "Irish cream!"
"No, we don't have that," said Michael, shaking his head. He brightened up. "But we can give you Irish coffee if you want it!"
"No thanks," I said, making a face. Coffee? At what was then 1:30am? Give me a break!
Then the waiter interjected, "But if you just want a Bailey's, we can give you that," he said.
"Yeah, that would be good," I said, and the moment he was gone, leaned against the table, my energy sapped. When the drink came, I was so exhausted, I almost gulped it down in one go -- and felt my head swim. I slowed down after that, but I couldn't deny, it was really good. I ordered something after that, I don't remember what -- pesto pasta, I think -- and retired to my room for the night. The first night in Frankfurt! And I remember hoping it would be the last as I sank into the depths of sleep, the last thing on my mental retina being the pale lights filtering in through the filmy curtains on the window...
(to be continued....)

No comments: