Friday, July 27, 2007

Back to school

It's been a while since I thought about school. I've been totally immersed in work for the past three months, in the world of AJAX, C# and meetings. It had almost slipped my mind that I have yet another year of schooling to complete before I can step out into the world. But that was brought back to my mind today, as I walked back home from my bus stop at Guadalupe Street down Dean Keeton.
Firstly it was the sight of a few students carrying books tucked under their arms, hovering around the Engineering building. It's been a while since I've seen a sight like that, and it reminded me sharply of my plight in a few weeks. Then it was the sight of the ACES building, which is under the Computer Sciences department. I gulped, memories crashing back of late nights spent trying to complete some inane assignment, which made no sense to me, but had to be completed nevertheless.
And finally, it was JP's Java. To all those who have attended UT, JP's should be a familiar destination. At least, it is to us CS grad students. It's a bustling coffee shop on Duval, San Jacinto and Elmwood Place -- the triangular place where all three streets intersect. It's close to the CS department, so we like it a lot. AND they have free wireless, so that helps. But above all, it's their latte, which they claim is the best in Austin. I don't know about that, not having been to all coffee shops in Austin, but they certainly do dish up a mean latte. Whenever I go there, that's what I have.
I can remember quite a few evenings spent there, in some dark corner of the cafe, cursing the insensitive professors who refuse to accept that their students take courses other than theirs; feverishly completing assignments the day before they're due; researching on whatever we need to research; and sometimes, just surfing. All these memories came back to me today, and I almost shuddered. Just a little over a month to go, and I'll be plunged back into the crazy world!!!
But I won't condemn in entirely. I do like studying, especially Computer Science, else I'd never have pursued a Master's degree. I may curse it, but I do love being a grad student. I love saying I'm a part of UT -- I've been here only a year, and I'm already a proud Longhorn. And, at times, the sheer pressure of studies spurs me on, and exhilarates me, rather than depressing me. I won't say I don't feel stressed, because I do. But in some strange way, I do enjoy it, especially at the end when all the hard work comes to fruition.
But I digress. I was talking about cafes and studying. There's another one that comes to mind -- Lava Java at Dean Keeton and Medical Arts. It's right opposite my apartment, and close to the places of two of my best friends, so it was a favorite haunt of ours, especially since we were grouped together on a project for our Business Process Outsourcing class. We would meet there at three or four in the afternoon, and continue discussing till late into the evening, sometimes even till 9, when the cafe had to finally evict us. It's quiet, and it's in a corner -- and they have large comfy sofas, which is why the three of us liked it so much. We would sink into the sofa, cups of steaming latte/cappucino and cookies on the table in front of us, and discuss earnestly about the project, but not entirely neglecting having fun -- especially at the expense of one of us!! Man, those were the days! I think the guy at the cash counter knows us personally now -- I went back a few days earlier to buy a raisin cookie, and he gave me a smile of recognition. I smiled back wryly.
Those days are going to be back!! Lava Java and JP's Java will be seeing more of us now, when classes begin in a month. Till then -- it's back to work!

No comments: