Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Moving part II

The moving drama continued yesterday. It was crazy, hectic, chaotic. To quote a coworker of mine, I was "running around like a headless chicken". Only one of my roommates was left, and she and me cleaned up the whole house, dragged out the furniture and other baggage. It was crazy! Finally, at almost 10 pm, I took one last look at the place (to ensure nothing had been left behind, rather than out of any dubious emotional attachments), and locked the door for the final time, and turned the keys over to the management. Whew!! Phase One complete.
Of course, there's still a Phase Two to contend with: like I said, where I'm staying now is just temporary. I won't get to move into my new apartment till the 10th. Then comes a whole new set of headaches....moving all the furniture, not only across the apartment complex, but across the block; setting up house at the new place; settling in. Man! I'm not even going to think about it, for it is getting me all worked up.....10 days away from the day I actually need to move!
I found a lot of interesting things, though, while I was clearing up. There was an ancient stack of newspapers -- The Daily Texan -- from a year back. There was one of my paintbrushes under the desk, where it had rolled sometime during the year, and I'd been too preoccupied to notice it (or maybe it's a sign that I own more brushes than I need? I know I don't usually use more than 1 or 2 per session). There was an old bus pass, a day pass for Sept 4, 2006, crushed but still recognizable. There was an old recipe for making spicy broccoli that I'd lifted off the internet sometime, and had (of course) failed to ever try it out. Seeing that it was behind the gas stove, I can see why! There was the instruction booklet for the iPod (why would anyone need an instruction booklet for the iPod?? Four buttons, that's all there is to it!) There was a crumpled drawing (or rather, a cruel caricature) of one of my professors, when I'd been in a not-too-charitable mood toward him. There was a printout of my transcript from the Fall semester, which I threw away hurriedly. I didn't need reminding for the grades! There was also a printed schedule of the 2007 Cricket World Cup, with neat notes in the corner (by me), about which team won which match, by what margin, and their points after each match, and even some kind of complicated formula to find out who needed to win which match by how many runs/wickets to ensure a place in the semi-finals! (If only I'd put in that kind of hard work and dedication into my studies! :P )
Yeah, there were lots of interesting things to pick out of the junk that was left behind after I cleaned out the apartment. Most of it was thrown away, but I kept some of the treasures with me. Maybe I need to clean my house more often.....!!

No comments: